Super Telephoto for Canon D_zpsf669a61b
Super Telephoto for Canon D_zpsf669a61b
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For all Gamers and Anime Lovers out there! This place is for you! Registry now!

HomeGNLL Yeah!Latest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Super Telephoto for Canon

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
DrakeBell
Nooblet
Nooblet
DrakeBell

Cents : 48

Super Telephoto for Canon Empty
PostSubject: Super Telephoto for Canon   Super Telephoto for Canon Icon_minitimeSat Mar 15, 2014 8:12 am

Looking for a cheap telephoto for Canon in the 300mm-400mm range, it's only gonna get used every now and then for some bird shooting, and the photos are mostly for personal use, so it doesn't have to be super sharp either, though I do want something sturdy, since I'm gonna use it a lot while hiking, so nothing that'll get cracked if you look at it the wrong way.
Old, used, and fully manual are all not a problem for me. 

My budget is about $400-$500

Currently I'm looking at the Canon FD 300 F/4 (with EdMika adapter), though not quite sure what's the difference between the L and non L versions of this lens, if anyone can help, or offer alternative choices.
Back to top Go down
AnimeLady
Nooblet
Nooblet
AnimeLady

Cents : 52

PostSubject: Re: Super Telephoto for Canon   Super Telephoto for Canon Icon_minitimeSat Mar 15, 2014 8:13 am

L lenses have weather proofing , and are generally sharper , with better coatings and stronger bodies , but at a price . 
Alternative choices:

1. If you are only going to use it now and then , consider renting a decent telephoto lens when you do need it (They are sometimes up to $10 000-$20 000 if you buy ).

2. Use your cash to buy a cropped sensor body with a 75-300mm lens, effectively giving you  120-480mm focal length.

3.Find a second hand lens on eBay and pray that it is not scratched when it arrives.
Back to top Go down
DrakeBell
Nooblet
Nooblet
DrakeBell

Cents : 48

PostSubject: Re: Super Telephoto for Canon   Super Telephoto for Canon Icon_minitimeSat Mar 15, 2014 8:14 am

AnimeLady wrote:
L lenses have weather proofing , and are generally sharper , with better coatings and stronger bodies , but at a price . 
Alternative choices:

1. If you are only going to use it now and then , consider renting a decent telephoto lens when you do need it (They are sometimes up to $10 000-$20 000 if you buy ).

2. Use your cash to buy a cropped sensor body with a 75-300mm lens, effectively giving you  120-480mm focal length.

3.Find a second hand lens on eBay and pray that it is not scratched when it arrives.

I'm talking about Canon FD, not Canon EOS....even the cheapest one is built like a tank, and non of them was weather sealed btw. They're all used, since they don't manufacture them anymore, not since the 80s, I just want to know the  differences in that particular lens. I really have no problem buying through eBay, I've bought tons of used lenses through it, not a single one had scratches on the glass itself, only minor signs of use, so I'm not worried. 

I don't want a crop camera body and a 75-300, that's probably Canon's worst lens, built with cheap plastic, and a Rebel isn't that sturdy either, plus I don't want to hike with two cameras with me. 

Thanks though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Super Telephoto for Canon   Super Telephoto for Canon Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Super Telephoto for Canon
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: SECTION FOR YOU TO SHINE :: Photography-
Jump to: